11.30.2010

To be or not to be: rock star, scientist, Renaissance Man!

Tuesday, January 13, the condo, on the balcony


The day has come.
For you and me.
To declare our love.
And set us free.


Me and you.
Equates Forever.
My one love true.
My heart strings glue.
Asunder never.


This song writing stuff is no joke. I spent the whole day trying to string together chords that sounded right. The elders all went sailing and Lilly worked on her letter to the producers of the Mia movie, so it's just me and my guitar, under the fierce sun (I'm a little sunburnt) but I don't have much to show for it. Well, I needed sun (desperately) anyway, and once we're back home, there won't be anymore shirtless outings on the balcony, not in Manhattan in January! Actually, we don't have a balcony in Manhattan. Well, we do, but I never use it because it just overlooks the street, and sorry, Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side isn't exactly peaceful. Don't get me wrong. I love New York. I've lived there my whole life. I don't want to live anywhere else. That's why I wanted to get into Columbia so badly. I can't see myself going to MIT or Cal Tech because I'd miss NYC too much. Not to mention Mia! My second choice school was NYU. I'm so glad I got into Columbia, because NYU is chalk full of art history types: rich socialites with too much time and (inherited) money on their hands, who only are going to college to break the monotony of the Bungalow 8 club scene. Besides that, I'm not all that interested in sitting behind the Olsen twins in Psyc101.

What's going to happen to our band when we all go off to college? Or whatever? Felix and Paul are talking about possibly going out to Silicon Valley. That would leave me and Boris and maybe Trevor. Boris is a freshmen like Lilly and Mia so he'll be around for awhile. But I guess I'm thinking way too far ahead. We don't even have a name yet, and who is to say we'll be good enough to get any gigs, or a record deal? Lilly said the guy who played me in the movie formed a band and went on to become a major rock star and broke up with Mia. The rock star might be fun, but there is no way I'm breaking up with Mia! I don't know though. About the rock star thing. I like music, but I can't see myself making a career out of it. I'm not like Boris. I'd rather do something really groundbreaking like in science or medicine. I'm not interested in being an M.D. I'm more inclined for the PhD track, to work in something like like nanotechnology or astrophysics. I want to INVENT or DISCOVER something.

Ideas for band names:
The Nanotechs
The Astrogeeks
The Crackheads
The CracKings

Days until I see Mia: |||| ||

No comments:

Post a Comment